(Find the full Switch to Safer series here.)

I thought we would start with this one since it is often used in DIY window cleaners and that is what we covered in today’s post on Thieves Household Cleaner.

Are you surprised it made it to the toxins list?

I know we often use this one in DIY cleaners because it is effective and inexpensive, but did you also know it is known for being highly dangerous for the respiratory system? You can also poison yourself by inhaling or consuming too much.

Oh, and according the the NY State Department of Health “Exposure to high concentrations of ammonia in air causes immediate burning of the nose, throat and respiratory tract. This can cause bronchiolar and alveolar edema, and airway destruction resulting in respiratory distress or failure. Inhalation of lower concentrations can cause coughing, and nose and throat irritation.”

Hopefully you are aware that mixing ammonia with bleach creates chlorine gas which can be a fatal combination.

Did a search on ammonia on the EWG database. Don’t think it is a coincidence that the only glass cleaner on the site that had better than a D rating was the only “ammonia-free” one.

Ready to take the next step?